Tuesday, 9 April 2013

Penguin Design Awards Entry

This morning I finally sent off my entry for the Penguin Design Awards. I chose the adult brief, which this year was Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep. I read the book and watched the 1946 film of the same name starring Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall in preparation for the project.

I started this project back in January but it lasted a lot longer than I intended it to, and the final artwork took a little over  a week to paint -- I used a mix of watercolour, gouache and acrylic. It's quite different  to what my work usually looks like (I didn't use ink or a dip pen once!) but all in all I loved working on it. I really liked working on book cover design,  and I'm planning on doing another one for part of my final major project -- possibly an Agatha Christie novel -- if I have the time, which looks doubtful at the moment.

So here's my final design:


All in all I'm really pleased with it, I think. Since the book was an old school detective book there were lots of hidden messages that I wanted to incorporate into the design somehow, while at the same time not making it look too crowded.
Anyway hope all you lovely people like it, fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment