Friday, 8 November 2013

Graduation, Barcelona, Wildlife Artist of the Year (and other news)

Its been too long since I've posted here so here's a little catch up with what I've been doing over the last few months...

First of all, after three years of hard work with some truly wonderful people, I graduated from Plymouth University with a 2:1 in Illustration. It's been an incredible few years and I've really missed it since moving back home.


I also went to Spain over the summer and spent a day in Barcelona with a sketchbook -- my kind of holiday! We spent most of the day in the midst of the incredible Sagrada Familia but the city itself was beautiful and I would love to go back there and take more of the sites in, as there was so much to do that we couldn't possibly cram into one day.









I've also recently been working on some more wildlife designs that I'm planning to enter to the Wildlife Artist of the Year. I love drawing animals and want to get better so this competition is a good start. The standards are always high and the entries from previous years have been simply amazing. 

I knew I wanted to draw birds again and turned my attention to birds of prey again. I've drawn owls before but I wanted to study something that would stand out so I chose the beautiful British kestrel. I love how they hover when they hunt, and the markings on their wings among many things. My design is almost finished but here's a few glimpses of some work in progress...




I will be sure to share a photo of the finished piece and my next entries for the competition. I used a mix of indian ink, acrylic and gouache for this entry, using a bit more acrylic than I normally do but I wanted the feathers on the wings to retain their natural smooth texture.

Thank you for looking, if you have any suggestions or ideas for Wildlife Artist of the Year, please do not hesitate to get in contact, I would love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment